We've got great news - The lens is now readily available in the Lomography Online Shop! They will be delivered right away; don’t miss out on securing your piece of photographic history!
Order The Petzval Lens
Please Note: Piggy Points and additional discounts cannot be applied for Petzval purchases.
A Very Special Portrait Lens
The Lomography x Zenit Petzval Lens is a stunning reinvention of one of the first and greatest lenses of all time. Manufactured in Russia by Zenit, each lens is crafted from brass and features high-quality glass optics. The lens produces images with extreme sharpness, strong color saturation, artful vignetting and absolutely beautiful swirly bokeh backgrounds. For the first time ever, you can easily get the Petzval photographic look with Canon EF and Nikon F mount analogue and digital cameras.
A Kick-Ass Kickstarter Campaign!
The Petzval Kickstarter campaign ran for 30 days and attracted tons of attention from the press and the worldwide photography community. It is the 3rd most successful product design project ever run on Kickstarter. The proof is in the numbers, see for yourself!
- 1,396,149 USD pledged
- 3,379 backers
- 12 sold out pledges
- 6 stretch goals hit
Read more on this site: New Petzval Lens - Brass - Canon Mount
- Rebirth of a Legend: The Lomography x Zenit New Petzval Lens is a reinvention of the legendary Petzval Lens first conceived of in Vienna, Austria in 1840. This new lens allows both photographers and filmmakers to create unique images and videos.
- Kickstarter Success: The production of the New Petzval Art Lens was made possible with the support of over 3000 Kickstarter backers. It also became one of the most successful Kickstarter design projects ever in only 30 days.
- Premium Optics: The New Petzval Art Lens is crafted in brass and features premium glass optics. It is manufactured in Russia by renowned lens design company, Zenit.
- Lens Compatibility: This lens is compatible with all Canon EF and Nikon F mount analogue and digital cameras.
- Perfect Portraits: Photos shot with the Petzval Lens have a unique appeal because of its sharpness in the center, narrow depth of field and swirly bokeh effect. This lens is perfect for portrait photography because it keeps your subject the center of attention.
- Technical Specifications:
- Focal Length: 85mm
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.2
- Apertures: Waterhouse aperture set, up to F/16
- Image Circle: 44mm
- Field of View: 30 degrees
- Lens Mounting Profile: Canon EF and Nikon F
- Electronic Contacts: Nov
- Closest Focusing Distance: 1m
- Focussing Mechanism: Gear Rack Focusing
- Filter Thread: 58mm
- Image Circle: 44mm
- Package includes:
- New Petzval Lens
- Petzval Book
- 7 Standard Aperture Plates
- Cleaning Cloth
- Leather Pouch
- Brass Lens Cap
The Photo Brigade - Lomography’s new design has been shrunk down to fit 35mm SLR’s and DSLR’s, but has retained the antique-brass appearance and focusing wheel of the original Petzval and is made by Zenit, an optics company based out of Russia.
pcmag.com - Forget Instagram — Photographers can bling out their SLR camera and take effects-heavy pictures with the reinvented Petzval Lens from Lomography.
Tech Crunch - Lomography has been making lenses and throwback lo-fi cameras for over a decade now, and the Petzval is ambitious but definitely within their scope.
Gear Hungry - While Lomography’s Petzval lens is more than a little evocative of steampunk, rest assured it brings with it a set of lens effects that Instagram and Hipstamatic couldn’t ever dream of replicating.
Gizmodo - Now, the retro-fanatics at Lomography have reengineered the lens from the ground up for today's Canon and Nikon cameras. And the photos are incredible.
The Coolist* - This brassy beauty captured crisp images in its center with blurry bokeh swirling around the corners, a low-fidelity effect which photographers still desire today. To connect the old world of photography with the new, the people at Lomography have re-built the Petzval lens in a new prototype
Cool Material - Long before you started throwing filters on your Instagram photos, the majority of portraits were taken with a Petzval lens. […] Now, Lomography is bringing the awesome looking lens back.
Pdexposure – While it’s true we here at Pdexposure have given Lomography grief in the past based on some of their products, it’s impossible to deny that they are very good at one thing: coming up with any wild film photography idea and getting it produced.
Digital Photography Review - What’s (really) old is new again in their latest Kickstarter campaign, an effort to bring the centuries-old Petzval lens back into production. The ‘New Petzval’ lenses look an function much like the originals with a brass exterior, and would be produced in both Canon EF- and Nikon F-mounts.
Pop Photo - Optically, the Petzval is very interesting. The field of focus is actually curved rather than flat like it is in modern lenses, which means the center of the frame will be sharp, but that sharpness will fall off as you approach the sides of the frame. This also gives it a really distinct circular bokeh, which looks really impressive, especially when you're shooting wide open.
Stuff - Let the colour clashing begin.
GizMag - Lomography and Zenit combined skills and started from scratch to create a lens that functions similarly to the original, but with improved speed and focus.
Trend Hunter - Thriving on imperfections that made analog photography full of character and uniqueness, the Lomography Petzval Portrait Lens brings back a bit of soul to the industry. What makes it stand out even more is its physical design. Its brass exterior makes it appear as though it were actually from the 19th century.
Dallas Nagata - The most rewarding part of shooting with the Petzval, though, is just the excitement of exploring new creative territory with a new “friend.”